Wednesday, September 2

Not Easily Explained

words by me
 
I once had a discussion with a friend
whom I admire and respect 
during which I asserted "I am Black."
Our conversation stuttered
she uttered, incredulous, "What?"
and I, suddenly less sure, said
"My grandfather is African American, and so am I"
only for her to scoff out "That's only a quarter, that doesn't count"

How dare you
I didn't say
Yes I am
I didn't say
Who are you to decide
I didn't say
my words turned to molten metal in my mouth, sliding down my throat and burning out the bottom of my stomach, radiating red liquid heat into my skin
and then 
like a hot iron plunged into cold water 
I knew
She didn't see me.

I once described my experience of my life as liminal
as occupying the space between spaces
my racial identity is quicksilver 
mercurial at best
changing with the angle and the hour and intensity of light
White girl in Brooklyn
Weird girl in Long Island
Black girl in the lines of my palms
the shiver in my bones
in all the places hidden by my skin
Black girl
Invisible.

I didn't understand why I was so upset
at first,
with my friend,
who didn't see me.
I didn't have the language or experience to frame what I felt.
That came later, with time and reflection 
a degree of self awareness that pierces
like daylight through darkness
that curls around your heart and your lungs and your mind
that cuts to the core of what you think you are

I was upset because
If we met on the street and had a conversation about the weather and the traffic
and I mentioned the Black Lives Matter protest happening that day
"I'm all for racial equality" you might say, "But-
-Do they have to be so disruptive?"
you might say
-What's the problem with all lives matter?"
you might say
-I'm sick of the racism police"
you might say
-Just between us White people"
you will say  
with your wry half-smile and the conspiratorial tilt of your head
and I might say
Nothing
and you would never know that my skin 
is a lie
that my hair
is a lie
that my eyes and my voice and my clothes 
are lies that allow me to pass 
Unseen

I was upset because my race is 
Complicated
because my identity is 
Other
because the validity of my identity
can be challenged
can be picked up and put down at will
can be ignored
discarded
disregarded
divorced 
because the ongoing oppression of my people
is not my lived experience
and my position is not ally
is not oppressed
is not easily explained
is not easily lived 
but I do.

Every day
I swallow down the guilt of being
too White
I swallow down the guilt of not being
Black 
Enough
I swallow down the heat in my throat 
and my eyes do not water at the pain
Every day
I stare into the darkness
I stare into the daylight
I stare into the mirror
I ask
Do you see me?

1 comment:

  1. I love you. I have always seen that little sadness retreating when you experienced these moments as a child. I know your brother experiences this as well. Please send him this poem.

    ReplyDelete