Tuesday, September 8

l'Institut

Bonjour, tout le monde!
Alright, so just a few words about the erratic blogging. I can't use my host family's wireless for some reason known only to their livebox, so I've been using the internet à l'Institut Tourraine after classes. However, the wireless is patchy sometimes, and I can only sit around and stare at a computer screen for so long before I start to feel like I'm really missing the point of being in France. So. Erratic updates.
On a completely separate note, let me tell you a little bit about what's happening with school, because at the moment, that's really all I'm thinking about. A l'Institut, all I'm taking is language classes. Once I get to Paris, I will enroll in classes at Paris III, la Sorbonne Nouvelle. However, au cause des grèves (strikes), which lasted for four months last year, the start of the school year has been pushed back. To October 12. Which means that I will have a month of two Sweet Briar Courses a week.
This begs the question, qu'est-ce que je ferai (will do) with myself for the month that I have almost no classes? Still haven't quite answered that. Go to the Louvre. Visit my cousins and friends in Paris, Grenoble, Amsterdam, London and Dublin. Write my thesis. Read. Study. Take long walks (the list goes on).
The other consequence of the very late start is that the term won't finish until January. Which isn't usually a problem if you talk to the professors and your school administrators and let them know what's going on, but since Bennington doesn't start until February... well I'm just plotting away.
Alright, enough for now. Will regale you with further exploits later.
Take care over there!

1 comment:

  1. That's kind of cool that you get a whole month to just wander through Paris. You can be a flaneur (a word I learned, strangely enough, from Japanese literature)!

    ReplyDelete